Announcements!

ANNOUNCEMENTS! See Below!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Casper the Friendly Ghost. And, Other TV Favorites


Me being born a baby boomer child. We were the first children to be mainly reared by TV. So, I watched for hours cartoons and other TV shows. Dark Shadows, was a paranormal soap opera. Which I loved coming home to after school. And, of course my beloved cartoons. Many that were originally shown in theatres. Remember, owning a TV wasn't the norm until the early fifties. All of the Warner Brothers and Famous cartoons were made during the 1940's with Newsreels in the middle of a "double" feature. So, families would spent hours at a theater that was air conditioned and being entertained at the same time.
Casper the Friendly Ghost was created by Famous Studios (Paramount)around 1945. Seymour Reit and Joe Oriolo are the artists. This was my introduction to the idea of ghosts. When I think back about the show. How did they get away with the idea of a ghost child? I found out the they created the idea that Casper was born to ghost parents. And, as to not frighten children they made a connection of ghosts being the same as ghouls and goblins. To keep away from the notion that they are souls of dead people. What even made me love Casper more is the NYC accent of the characters. Which now I understand the the artists were from the Tri-state area. The music was famous too. Written by Jerry Livingston and Mack David. Yes, I still remember the words.
I also use to watch Wendy the Good Little Witch. She used to work with Casper from time to time. When I think back the movies during the '60s themselves were more intense to frighten people. Like the vampire series made with the actors Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. And, films made by Roman Polanski. And, even he made a pretty "nice" vampire film, The Fearless Vampire Killers, that was not to scare you. Imagine that?

No comments:

Post a Comment